Veterans and the Department of Veterans Affairs

Source: Department of Veterans Affairs

The VA may pay for some services the Veteran may need in an assisted living facility.  Call toll-free, 1-877-222-VETS (8387), Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (CST). Or, contact your VA social worker for specific information about your eligibility.

Aid & Attendance and Housebound


Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension.



If only receiving Social Security, consider applying for SSI. This federal benefit is available to those 65 and older people with disabilities and people who are blind, or who have limited income and resources.

The specific requirements can be found here. To schedule an application appointment, call 1-800-772-1213.



About 40 million seniors receive help from the nation’s largest health insurance program, Medicare. Those who are at least 64 years and 9 months old can apply online for Medicare benefits with this online application. Applications can also be made in person at a local Social Security office or by calling 1-800-772-1213.



The Program of All- Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE ®) is designed for seniors with chronic care needs and their families to allow qualified individuals the opportunity to remain in the community for as long as possible.  For additional information, contact the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services at 785-296-8288.


Health Insurance Counseling

Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas (SHICK) is a free program offering Kansans an opportunity to talk with trained, community volunteers and get answers to questions about Medicare and other insurance issues. SHICK provides many resources that will help with  questions about Medicare.

SHICK has counselors throughout Kansas ready to assist people in staying informed on changing conditions in health care insurance and to minimize confusion.

Counselors receive training on Medicare, Medicare Supplement Insurance, Long-Term Care and other health insurance subjects that concern older Kansans.  Counselors do not work for any insurance company. The goal is to educate and assist the public to make informed decisions on what’s best for them.


Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

This is the country’s largest food safety net.  To determine eligibility, go to SNAP’s prescreening tool, an easy-to-use online resource. Eligibility requirements, as well as how much you may receive in benefits, can be found- here.


Long Term Care Insurance

LTC Insurance can cover home care and home health care services, assisted living, adult day care, respite care, hospice care, nursing home and Alzheimer’s facilities. Not all long-term care insurance policies cover all services, nor do they all pay the same for similar services.  Individual policies and plans vary in their coverage.  To learn more about LTC Insurance, Click Here